Sacred Paro Tsechu
“Tsechu” means festival, held annually in glory of Buddhism in Bhutan. One of such festivals is held in Paro which is very sacred festival with the unfurling of the World’s oldest Guru Thongdrel on the last day of the festival. Thongdroel means, “Liberation on sight.” This Thanka is an appliqué embroidery of Guru Rinpoche, who spread Buddhism in Bhutan and is said to be created in the late 17th century.
Day 1: PARO
- During your flight to Paro, you will experience breathtaking views of Mount Everest, Kanchen Junga and other Himalayan Peaks including sacred Jomolhari and Mt. Jichudrake in Bhutan. On arrival at Paro International Airport you will be received by the representative of Bhutan Peak Adventure. Overnight at Hotel in Paro.
- For those of you traveling from Bangkok, you will be experiencing amazing scenery with a distant view of Himalayan range on the way and the thrilling experience, when you especially notice the Aircraft flying near the hill, which seems as if it is just about few hundred meters away from the wings.
Day 2: PARO
- Taktshang: After breakfast, we drive to the famous Taktshang Lhakhang “The Tigers Lair”. Clinging to a black rock face, 900 meters above the valley floor, nestles Taktshang Lhakhang, one of the holiest and the most beautiful site of Bhutan. Taktshang, the tiger’s lair, acquires its name from the legend of its foundation, when in the 8th Century Guru Rinpoche, widely revered as the second Buddha, arrived from Tibet flying across the mountains on the back of a tigress. He meditated at the site for three months, from where he used the religious cycle of the Kagye to subjugate the Eight Categories of Evil Spirits, and thus converted the region to Buddhism. Overnight in hotel.
Day 3: PARO-THIMPHU
- AM visit to the Rinpung Dzong to observe Tshechu where monks perform mask dances, wearing colourful silk brocade costumes. These dances depict the winning over the good over evil. On this auspicious day, people irrespective of age, dressed in their finest clothes and jewelries flock in the Dzong to witness this sacred occasion.
- After lunch, we will make a visit to sacred Kyichu Lhakhang, one of the oldest monasteries built in the 7th century and drive to Thimphu. Visit the Memorial Chorten built in 1974 in memory of the 3rd King Jigme Dorji Wangchuk, by Grand Queen Mother Ashi Kezang Choden Wangchuck. Later in the Evening, we visit the Chang Gangkha Lhakhang, overlooking the Thimphu valley, which was built by Phajo Dugom Zhigpo in the 13th century. Overnight in hotel.
Day 4: THIMPHU – PARO
- After breakfast, we will visit the Textile Museum, Folk Heritage, Painting School, Zilukha Nunnery, the only surviving nunnery in the country. We also visit Bhutan Post to buy colourful and award winning stamps. We then visit the Jungshi Handmade paper factory, a Bhutanese paper factory to see paper process in which the bark of two Himalayan shrubs; Daphne and Edgeworthia undergo a multi-stepped process to produce paper of excellent quality. After lunch we drive to Paro. A free stroll around Paro town. Overnight in hotel.
- In the early morning at 2.30 AM, of the new day, we will drive to Paro Dzong to view the unfurling of the Great Thongdrel measuring about 85 feet wide and 55 feet tall. Prayers are performed to hoist and unfurl this 1000 kg Thongdrel which occupies all 5 stories of Deyankha temple. People pray, prostrate and get the blessing of the Thongdrel, which is said to liberate the viewer who has faith, and the level of their understanding, why they require liberation.
Day 5: PARO
- One can take a rest and sleep for short while after the breakfast. In the afternoon, we will drive visit the Drugyel Dzong, a ruined Fort, which once defended this valley from the Tibetan invasion. The name Drugyel “the fortress of glorious victory.” Now a burned shell was once strategic in Bhutan’s defense against the Tibetan invasion. On the clear day, from a high ridge of the fort, the sacred Jomolhari can be viewed standing tall in its brilliance. Free evening for shopping around the Paro town. Overnight in hotel.
Day 6 DEPATURE
- After breakfast, our Representative will drive you to the Airport and see you off for your onward flight.